Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Peanut Brittle

My book club, Tequila Tuesday, read the book Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons when we first started over five years ago. The one character in the book whom I most identified with brought peanut brittle to the club every month. I continue this tradition with my own club as I think they like the brittle more than me:)

Here is the recipe I use and it is all made in the microwave:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanuts or other nuts just not dry roasted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a 2 quart microwaveable cooking dish, mix the sugar and corn syrup. Microwave for 3 minutes. Remove, stir in peanuts and microwave 3.5 minutes until light brown. Remove and stir in vanilla and butter and microwave for a minute. Remove and stir in baking soda until foamy and pour onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Cool and break into pieces which can be stored up to one month in a sealed container.

Note: This recipe can not be doubled. I tried and it was ugly. If you need it to set quickly, put it in the refrigerator to cool. It makes it honeycombed inside which my friends like. Also, the humidity plays with the texture so stick it in the fridge for sure when it is humid. To make clean up easier, use hot water immediately into the dish when done.

No comments: