Friday, March 19, 2010

The Great Cookie Debate

I grew up on cookies, pastries and all delicious sweet things that you can bake at home. It was what we did as a family and I remember laughing with my mom and sisters. It is a tradition I continue with my girls.

However, when we were not baking, my dad had us at the bakery. It was we did with my dad. My dad is known for his daily trips to the store which lasts for hours. Like me, I really think we cannot still at home as we get stir crazy!

The bakeries we would visit would be either Barry's or Piazza's. Both were Italian bakeries. We would always get a little Italian cookie when we visited the kind with jimmies (or sprinkles) on them along with other treats like donuts or a crumb cake. My father still visits Piazza's as Barry's moved about 30 miles from Levittown. The one thing the girls, especially Nicole, look forward to when they visit my parent's in the summer for camp is a daily trip to Piazza's. (To be fair to my dad, John the owner, has given Nicole icing lessons and cake decorating tips so it is educational:))

Now when I moved to Floral Park, my husband took me to Tulip Bakery, a German bakery. Tulip cookies are good but nothing beats the Italian cookies. Maybe it is because German cookies have more butter and I am not a fan of butter. Maybe it is the memories that Italian bakeries or making cookies at home. Or maybe it is the thought of being with my dad that keeps Italian cookies the ultimate winner in my book.

1 comment:

Michele Mayo said...

Ah, yes I agree! Italian cookies are tge best. And so is Floral Park! Been living here for a very long time now. Proud to make it my home and share the beauty of Floral Park with others!

-Michele Mayo
Broker/Owner of RE/MAX Village Manor