Thursday, May 15, 2008

Winner-again!


Jessica did it again! She entered an essay contest on why she loves living in Floral Park. It is our town's Centennial and she won for the sixth grade. Here is the award winning essay:
I love Floral Park because of its memories. My family’s memories travel all the way back to when my great grandparents’ raised my grandmother on Hemlock Street. I continue to make memories on Daisy Avenue.

Memories are the stories of the good and the bad times passed down from generation to generation. I enjoy hearing stories from my grandmother about what Floral Park looked like, how it changed and all that she can remember about it. My grandma talks about playing volleyball down at the park with her friends just like my mother used to. My grandma also talks about the shops that used to exist on Tulip Avenue. My grandma still drives by the house she grew up in to check on its condition.

My father tells stories about what Floral Park looked like, what he experienced and his fondest memories. A few of my father’s memories of growing up in Floral Park is when they filmed the Reebok commercial on Tulip Avenue, participating in the Sewanhaka High School homecoming parades, and he recalls with great joy jumping off the high dive board at the Floral park pool and wishes that it still existed.

Even now at my young age, I already have some cherished memories of Floral Park that I hope to pass on to my children. I love recalling the first time I dove off the diving board at the pool. I can not wait to tell my kids of my days at school, especially my class winning Olympic Day two years in a row. Even the lemonade stands that my friends and I made have been stored away in my head for future generations.

Memories have to be cherished. Memories are a piece of history in someone’s mind. Memories allow you the chance to recall good times and friends you had in Floral Park. My family has many memories of Floral Park. I look forward to adding to that list. Memories of Floral Park can last more than a lifetime.

No comments: